Monday, June 16, 2008

Andrew W

The Taj mahal was exquisite, and grand.

When you first see it, it looks perfect and balanced. As I walked closer, I began to realize the scale of it – people seemed like a tiny row of color that encircled its base. The closer you get, the less picturesque it becomes, as you start to see it from an angle never published on postcards. The top disappears behind the base, which expands to fill up your whole vision.

There were a lot of people. Most of them were Indian and seemed just as excited as I was to be there. It was the first time I felt that everyone was equally amazed and happy to be there. Instead of feeling like the American tourist amongst ‘local’ Indians, I felt like part of a huge group of people who had traveled to be here. My friend Justin commented that although he is never really impressed by buildings, he thought it was beautiful that a building like this could bring so many people together and make them all happy.

I’ve wanted to visit the Taj Mahal ever since I made a paper mache replica for a school project. I remember carving out the hollows and angling the walls, and when I first saw it, i felt like I already knew its lines and shapes, having stood above my two foot model for hours with paint and an x-acto knife. But actually, what I remember the most about being there was the people. Everyone looked like they had made an effort to wear their best clothes, and there were so many vibrant colors from all of the beautiful saris and turbans. I saw one woman putting make-up on before having a picture taken, and at any time there were always people taking pictures or posing for them.

There were little kids all over the place, running and chasing and racing and laughing.

There were also couples, posing together and looking at each other as much as they were looking at the Taj Mahal itself.

We took our shoes off and because it was raining on and off the marble was wet and cool and smooth.

It is interesting that it has become such a symbol of beauty and love, even though it is a lovers’ tomb.

We walked through it, and in the middle in the dark heart of the Taj Mahal, there are both of their tombs and one lamp that hangs from the ceiling and is surrounded by intricate metalwork. As we left the room, pushed up against people, we tried to guard each other against the pickpockets that had bee following us around and were know shoved up against us. In a surreal mood twist, in the next room a group of ten kids ran by, hollering and shouting to hear the sounds their echoes made.

We stepped out on the other side, walking into a view of a silvery river, green farming rows and a yellow blue fluffy cloud sky. People were brushing their fingers along the flowers etched into the walls (something that I thought only I did), and sitting in the carved out hollows, talking.

My memory of the Taj Mahal will be… red and orange and blue and white and birds and green gardens and children running and laughing and people smiling and glowing.

No comments: