Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My life in 24 hours

It' always such a crazy thought to me that life is going on all around the world, all the time, regardless of where I am.

My two best friends and I have been scattered across the world for the past 5 months -- Christina was in California, Andrew was in China, and I was in Ghana. Other close friends are all over the place too -- Hong Kong, Ecuador, Guatemala, Thailand, India, Chile, across the US...

Andrew, Christina and I did a photo project inspired by the craziness of this. We each took a photograph of what we were doing or where we were on the hour, for 24 hours. The three of us are separated by exactly 8 hours each, so Andrew started at 4 pm in Beijing, Christina at midnight, and I started at 8 am.

This is my 24 hours:



8 am: Just woke up, view from my balcony in Volta Hall.













9 am: Still kickin it in my room, another view.

















10 am: Getting breakfast (an egg sandwich and ice coffee) at this outdoor cafe on campus. The woman who works here is amazing.















11 am: Still on campus, on the way to the tro tro station.
















12 pm: At Accra Mall -- this is where we get photos printed for the Photo Project. There's also a food court a brand new movie theater where we saw the new 007 movie.








1 pm: In a shared taxi on the way to Adabraka, where I have an interview for my independent study project.












2 pm: In a health official's office -- somewhere behind me is the info that I need!

















3 pm: In a tro tro headed back to campus.









4 pm: The view from Accra Mall, where I had to pick up the prints from earlier today for the photo exhibition that we're having tomorrow.












5 pm: Cooking with my Volta girls! Don't be deceived though, this is one of the few times that I cooked all semester. The girls are Priscilla (a first year model who I met through athletics training and go salsa dancing with,) Farida (one of her four roommates,) and Annie (from UCSC, she's staying for a year! We used to run together).










6 pm: Still cooking... I'm peeling a yam that I got as a gift from a friend of a friend. I made the mistake of carrying the yam through Commonwealth (kind of like a huge fraternity) and got so many catcalls! lol...












7 pm: Dinner! Cooking takes so long! How do people do it every day? Annie and I couldn't handle all of the pepper and sniffled through the whole meal.











8 pm: These two women sell food outside of our hall and are awesome. I think I bought juice and paw paw (papaya).











9 pm: One of my two roommies! This is Irene, and her boy Andy. I love these two!
















10 pm: My other roomie Rebecca and I chilling out to an episode of Sex and the City in our room.
















11 pm: Working on my independent research project (30 + pages, due tomorrow!) about health-based behavior change interventions.









12 am: I miss these two!!! Wonder what they're doing right now...











1 am: Still up and typing... these are the kittens that hang out in volta and prowl around at night. They're adorable.












2 am: Rocking out to music and chugging a pure water sachet. Not so pure, actually, because a government report came out saying only 5 % of sachet brands have no parasites. lol, great...












3 am: A supportive text from Anita -- thanks babe!












4 am: I was still awake but everything around me was black. This is a picture of my sleeping roommate but you can't tell.












5 am: It's getting lighter and I'm still typing, probably page 28 or so by now. This is a picture of Lucas, the porter who guards our block in Volta.













6 am: It is finished! I spot the sunrise on my way to find a printing office that's open this early. Still haven't slept.













7 am: Delirious from not sleeping but still on a high from finishing that paper, I'm on the phone with Andrew and on my way to the tro tro station.












8 am: This is Nima. We just got here and are starting to set up for the photography exhibition that Carly and I are holding to showcase our students photos at their school.









What a day! This is actually not very typical (I normally sleep, don't really cook, etc) and there's so much that these on the hour photos didn't capture. But still -- my life in 24 hours.

Here're the links to Andrew's photos:
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/goldenbeartri/Day%20in%20the%20Life/

and Christina's:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=CYoung7&target=ALBUM&id=5276203604224314865&authkey=9JcPP9inDTE& invite=CILuqf0F&feat=email







To Andrew and Christina --- Thanks for going along with this project!
and Mike -- Thanks for the inspiration :)

No comments: